Calendar Attach existing thread to event

nik

Useful to attach existing event discussions to an event. Ideally at event create time and event edit but event create only would suffice.

frm

To automatically create an associated event thread, play around with ACP->Calendar->Add category (or select one made)->Assign the forum you want the automatically generated thread under "Automatically create thread in forum" and even add a prefix (if that node allows for one you want) with "Automatically created thread prefix".

As an example, I automatically create in "Events Discussion" with the prefix "DISCUSS". If someone creates a thread elsewhere discussing the matter, I'll merge it into that thread as it's event-specific.

You could always soft/hard delete the automated discussion thread and use the drop-down "..." -> "Change discussion thread" to whatever discussion you want to take place.

Though, I would suggest merging the two so that the automated one links to the event while the discussion can carry on.

nik

To automatically create an associated event thread, play around with ACP->Calendar->Add category (or select one made)->Assign the forum you want the automatically generated thread under "Automatically create thread in forum" and even add a prefix (if that node allows for one you want) with "Automatically created thread prefix".

As an example, I automatically create in "Events Discussion" with the prefix "DISCUSS". If someone creates a thread elsewhere discussing the matter, I'll merge it into that thread as it's event-specific.

You could always soft/hard delete the automated discussion thread and use the drop-down "..." -> "Change discussion thread" to whatever discussion you want to take place.

Though, I would suggest merging the two so that the automated one links to the event while the discussion can carry on.
So I can associate an existing thread to a new event?

frm

I just tested as I thought this would be possible. However, I ran through other (mainstream) addons and it seems that they all follow suit: If the addon did not create a thread, the associated thread cannot be changed.

It's a good suggestion, but how all 3rd party developers are doing it, I don't think it will ever be implemented (I may be wrong, but if it is, it'd be the first).

Your suggestion is after the fact "assign a discussion thread" to an event.

The dirty way to do this is to run a MySQL query which will add that discussion thread.

For instance, this thread id is 9715 and there is a calendar event on here with 141 that doesn't have an associated thread:

If I wanted to associate this thread with that event, I would run this MySQL query (until implemented, if ever):
update `xf_nf_calendar_event` set `thread_id` = 9715 where event_id = 141;

If you have phpMyAdmin, it'd be much easier to locate event_id (in the xf_nf_calendar_event table)* and merely input the number 9715 into the "thread_id" column and it'll appear as a normal discussion thread as if it were previously associated.

Took me a while on this one as 3 AM and I put quotes around numerics which confused me. But, it works. ;)

Last edited:

frm

I'm dumb and none of that was necessary. If you forgot to assign a thread, all you need to do is enable this user group permission.

ACP->User groups->Administrative (example)->Calendar Moderator Permissions->"Yes" to Manage thread association

Hypothetically, if the thread didn't exist, it should allow you to enter a URL for one.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to test this method fully as I'm not using friendly URLs on my test server and I'm getting this error kicked:
"nf_calendar_new_event_discussion_thread_must_be_standard_thread"

Might wanna give this a try too.

Edit: Nope. It worked. ;) I was using a thread already associated with an event. I created a new thread and it allowed me to associate that with an event instead.

Good luck :)

nik

You are absolutely correct, I must've missed that option. Thanks for the clarification.