Tickets Fixed Filtering does not include closed tickets

I understand that "Closed" tickets are not "Resolved" tickets. As support inquiries can be turned down or not be followed anymore although they weren't resolved. So far, so good...

But... The Ticket Queue should also show "Closed" Tickets. And it should be by default that ALL tickets are shown in the "Tickets Index" and only if I switch to a specific filter setting the other tickets shall be sorted out.

Otherwise, you have closed tickets and can't find them anymore (or better have to be searched by remembering the user name or ticket number...) which results in many forgotten tickets in my opinion.

Thus said... it would be cool if the ticket queue list items have small indicators for their status. "Open" (no indicator), "Locked" (as a FA "lock" icon), "Closed" ("Closed" as text like the "NEW" indicator style), "Resolved" (with a FA checkmark icon or something similar...).

closed.jpg

Closed tickets are tickets that the user does not respond to anymore. They can reopen by replying.

If your helpdesk has thousands of tickets then you really don't want closed tickets to be shown to staff by default. The best workflow is to have visible to staff: the tickets that they need to process.

For members & guests: its useful to show open tickets first and then closed, locked, resolved tickets in a separate display under it.

Thats just the way you arrange the order. Of course it makes sense to have the priorities included. But a closed ticket to be gone AWOL is not what it should be like. Therefore there is the Status Filtering, so with "thousands of tickets" you can filter out the ones you need to see (open = unresolved). So my idea does not make things more difficult but more rigorous and compelling.

Closed tickets should indeed be visible AFTER filtering. Otherwise staff members would need to apply the filter every time they access the page.
Alternatively there can be a setting so the admin can decide for himself/herself.

What I am saying from a User Experience point of view is that a list should never be "empty". Because it leads to users thinking "there is nothing"... of course you have another perspective if you have thousands of tickets. ;)

Lets make the Filter item "Closed" as a must have and add it to the filter setting. Then make the initial listing of closed tickets optional in the ACP ("include closed tickets in queue?").

Last edited:
Closed is actually renamed to 'Resolved' within Tickets. There were confusions between what closing a ticket does and what locking a ticket does.

Admittedly though, there isn't an easy way to expose resolved tickets and that's corrected in the next release. I'm also toying with the idea of marking tickets as resolved once a staff member has replied. Scratch that, had a much better idea instead. :D

Last edited:
Technically those two states aren't the same, because you can close a ticket without resolving it. But I can live with that if there is only one term for it throughout the system.
Understood.
That would bring even more confusion...
Yeah, I was just spitballing late at night.

I'm going to spin out 'locked' and not make it a ticket status. Instead, it'll be a flag in the database (is_locked). Same with assigned.

As a result, there'll be a lot less unnecessary ticket statuses and it'll make it significantly easier (internally and externally) to drill down and find specific tickets. There's now some new pre-defined statuses by default: new, open, pending, resolved and completed.

With these, there's be less confusion between the difference between what stage a ticket is in. The changes also pave the way for assigning to whole departments / teams but that will probably be the release after. I have some more tidying up and general improvements to do and then I'll push this release out. :)

Back