Calendar Cannot Reproduce View counters

frm

The view counter seems to only update when an event is viewed by a logged in member and not a visitor. I ran the cron each time and it went from 1 to 4, all me. But, this is the result of sharing 1 event to Facebook:
1571310997876.png
And, that's just 1 share of 20.

Google Analytics puts the last 30 minutes as this with the peak itself being 4 for a total of 29 visitors.
1571311095403.png

There's nothing particularly different about how views are tracked between events and threads. The views get dumped in to a scratch table called xf_nf_calendar_event_view and the cron takes the number of views in that table and sums it with the existing number of views.

Do you have guest page caching enabled? Or some other sort of caching?

Do you have guest page caching enabled? Or some other sort of caching?
Yes. Both mod_pagespeed and memcached. They seem to definitely impact true view counts (as to why I'm going to eventually get around to an Analytics API view counter), but not to this extreme—it will typically report 75% views, even with caches.

Screenshot_20191017-215345_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191017-215418_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191017-215451_Facebook.jpg

Could it be that this event was the one I manually changed from moderated to visible? Is there another DB setting quite possibly in the referenced table preventing counts?

With this particular event, I'm convinced more than ever that the view counter is off. It's showing 12 views, but, the image attachment has 223 views which are more in line with Analytics for this particular page, give or take. The previous event (event 1) has 15 views but 29 attachment views (was not promoted as this event was). I would imagine that both figures would be relatively close, if not the same.

With the attachment views off in comparison to view count, there has to be something hanging it up, and it can't be caching in my experience with other add ons (that do not display the correct figure but are very close to it).

I suppose until there's a fix, I'll manually edit in the views as views are an indicator of activity, and thus monetization when companies realize people actually visit your site.

1571332611486.png

I'm not doubting that the counter is off but again, there is little to no difference between how views are totaled for threads (or even attachments for that matter) and how they're totaled for events leading me to believe the problem is somewhere else hence asking about your caching situation.

You can try it out here and view the events here as either a guest or a user and the counter increments fine and as expected.

Happy to look in to it more for you if you open a ticket here with an admin login.

Back