Calendar Include RSVP buttons in both Event View Header and Discussion Thread Header

Mouth

Users are still regularly commenting/posting in the discussion thread that they are coming/attending a calendar event, so I think it would be very helpful to better highlight the RSVP functionality for the event.

Thus, I suggest that the RSVP buttons (Going / Maybe / Decline) also be within both the event view header and discussion thread header.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
the RSVP buttons (Going / Maybe / Decline) also be within both the event view header and discussion thread header.
@NixFifty this has become a real issue and constant area of complaint for mobile users. When on the Event View, they have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find the RSVP. Appears this is why RSVP's are not being used, as often they don't even know it's there.

Would be much appreciated if you could address for the next version, especially since reminders will bring even stronger prominence to RSVPs.

Yeah maybe this should not be a sidebar widget but a set of three buttons that is located in the "tabs" area under the "title" element. So it can be displayed both in the event view and the associated discussion thread view.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-10 um 08.01.18.png

Last edited:
It is not "ideal" yet... maybe another place would suit better. But the location should be available in both event and discussion views.

Here's my quick template cut 'n' paste solution ...
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 17.00.56.png

It's not as aesthetically appealing on the discussion thread header though ...
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 17.04.51.png

It's not as aesthetically appealing on the discussion thread header though ...
Just a matter of CSS Styling.

I also like how the RSVP now is in a clear focus.... versus the old way where the sidebar widget comes AFTER the event description under the block.

So now even the laziest user can read the headline and just join or decline...

Good riddance.

I also like how the RSVP now is in a clear focus.... versus the old way where the sidebar widget comes AFTER the event description under the block. So now even the laziest user can read the headline and just join or decline...
Good riddance.
Yeah, dropped RSVP from the sidebar too so UIX is better now for both desktop and mobile.

Desktop:
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 18.06.21.png

Mobile:
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 18.08.30.png

Just a matter of CSS Styling.
Yeah, not too good here. Not sure how to fix this, will have to keep playing.

Desktop:
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 18.10.52.png

Mobile:
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 18.10.06.png

Reactions: Naz
Good start! IIRC, there's some CSS in nf_calendar_event_view.css that may be useful.

So the general consensus seems to be that RSVP placement sucks in the sidebar. I've moved it to the middle (kind of like Mouth's screenshot) and am messing with the layout a bit to get it just right but definitely more visible and in your face.

The most important thing is to have the RSVP in BOTH the event view AND the discussion thread view, so it’s a no brainer for the users to manage their participation no matter where they look at the event...

I wanted to include the RSVP buttons on the discussion thread tab for the XF2 version (otherwise, users are just posting their RSVP in the discussion and not utilising the RSVP buttons/function, because they don't know to go to the overview tab to find the RSVP buttons).

To achieve, edit template nf_calendar_thread_view_type_event, and add the following as highlighted in green ...

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 22.19.24.png
... which produces ...

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 22.21.42.png

Ideally, I'd like to have only the (green/yellow/red) RSVP buttons and not the Watch/Bookmark/MenuTrigger buttons beside them as well. But it seems, using the macro call for template 'nf_calendar_event_wrapper_macros' there's no method to get the RSVP buttons only. Otherwise, I'd have to duplicate/seperate the nf_calendar_event_wrapper_macros template and make my own with just the RSVP buttons.

Last edited:
Back