Calendar release

Mouth

Just noticed its been 6 months since the first Alpha release, and 3 months since the first Beta release.
Keen to get this onto production site, and replacing my legacy events add-on.
Is there any new functionality to be added for the first production release, or just bug fixes now? :)

I would not be able to replace my legacy events addon with the current feature scope. It needs a little more IMHO.

Which legacy system are you using?
The 2 legacy systems are:
  1. FS Events
  2. vbulletin calendar
I like your list. My top 5 is:
  1. Events Widgets
    Without widgets not many people will see the calendar. On my site the Calendar navTab is 10th from the left and 85% of my users are on mobile. No one sees the navTab. If no one finds events then that would be pointless. FS Events has a widget.
  2. Article View for all upcoming Events
    Without article view people will not see future events. People are not going to click through months/weeks.
  3. Sidebar ----> whats really needed...
  4. Event Organizer Profiles & Event Venue Profiles
    A basic form of organizer/venue profile would prevent a lot of work. if it gets added later then events would need to be edited manually.
  5. Event Reviews
    This can also be added to a subsequent release, but I am not seeing the point of events without a reviews function. people need to post their opinion / rating of the event.

FS Events
Ahh, that never reached production for me. Never really felt comfortable or longevity with it.

Without widgets not many people will see the calendar.
I don't disagree, but does forum thread creation/association not play a large part in bringing members to the calendar? I find that a large proportion are 'driven' from the forums to the calendar, thus why I think thread association and highlighting the event within the thread is quite important.

Yes, thread association is important as that will drive people from forum to events.
But before they even arrive at my forums they need to see that there are events. Some of my XF sites do not even have a forum.

@NixFifty slow progress on the https://nixfifty.com/forums/bug-reports.26/ ?
Progress on some essential features for a first release ?
After 7 months, keen to get this in front of users so can provide additional feedback.
Been a bit sick recently. Got a nice beta 9 almost ready to go and IIRC, most of those bugs have been ironed out. Just haven’t gotten round to updating the threads. :)

Definitely expect a release this week though.

Sorry @NixFifty but Calendar doesn't deserve a 1.0.0 release, the quality of this release is poor and should definantly still be a Beta. I suggest the next release is back to Beta again for some user testing and we OK it before you release it again. Hoping for a quick turn-around on these bugs.

I don't see how you can go from bug ridden beta 8 to a gold release. A gold release should not result in a wave of bug reports on the day of release.

Down to a top 4 now:
  1. Events Widgets
    Without widgets not many people will see the calendar. On my site the Calendar navTab is 10th from the left and 85% of my users are on mobile. No one sees the navTab. If no one finds events then that would be pointless. FS Events has a widget.
  2. Sidebar ----> whats really needed...
  3. Event Organizer Profiles & Event Venue Profiles
    A basic form of organizer/venue profile would prevent a lot of work. if it gets added later then events would need to be edited manually.
  4. Event Reviews
    This can also be added to a subsequent release, but I am not seeing the point of events without a reviews function. people need to post their opinion / rating of the event.

Down to a top 4 now:
  1. Events Widgets
  2. Sidebar ----> whats really needed...
  3. Event Organizer Profiles & Event Venue Profiles
  4. Event Reviews

I think thats a good list. I would go with that and then improve from there.

Got a nice little release coming up. Significant natural language processing improvements, widgets, stuff under the hood for venue and organiser support and some QoL stuff. Almost done.

Yeah. By the way what is that natural language processing exactly? I think I never looked into that in much detail.

Yeah. By the way what is that natural language processing exactly? I think I never looked into that in much detail.
In general terms, it's an area of computer science whereby a computer / machine is able to understand the everyday language that we, as humans, speak to each other and can then perform some action / processing upon that.

In terms of this add-on, it just lets you type a title such as "An event next Saturday at 3PM" and the event start date/time and end date/time will be inferred automatically, for example. Here's a demo.

Ah gotcha, that's like apple handles contact and event data in emails for example. Wow... very nice. :)

EDIT: Hopefully that works with 24 hrs and other languages too...

Ah gotcha, that's like apple handles contact and event data in emails for example. Wow... very nice. :)

EDIT: Hopefully that works with 24 hrs and other languages too...
It's still very much experimental and mostly a little side project. It can handle 24 hrs and other absolute time formats in addition to more relative formats like "in 15 mins", etc. No bilingual support just yet.

Back